16 October 2006

What a way to report!!!

I have been pretty often clean-bowled by the ways of layout designs in Gulf News. I’m sure many of the fellow bloggers/ friends in media / advertising / communications must have felt the same too! An example appears in today’s Page 2 reproduced here.

On first glance I got the topline spooky feelings that:
1) “The woman was stabbed repeatedly” while (or because of) “Appreciating Art”
2) The woman who was stabbed repeatedly and dumped by her husband… is seen here appreciating art with her husband

It is true that to a large extent news reporting / layout is about catching attention, making the report look “newsy” and this is what communication is all about.

However, I guess sometimes improper connection may take the communication to negative levels - eg. the report unknowingly connects the art exhibition to murder - Christie’s style!!

And just for the record, this method has often been repeated - even on front-page main headlines!

Am I too critical? I’d love to know how the community feels about it… Sam? SD? Woke? …

(for additional comments see UAE Community Blog)

No comments:

Share This